Confusing AF citation codes, and a bit of a story

reddit

Registered
Confusing AF citation codes, and a bit of a story

Repost with more info and pictures.

Hi all,

My grandfather passed away and I’m trying to help my family get things in order. He retired from the air force a MSGT after 20 years and 6? years in the NAVY. His decorations medals and badges are confusing and I can’t seem to find a an online reference so I figured I would ask the detectives of Reddit for help. Any ideas what the following are? I am writing the codes how I see them but numbered for clarity.

1. AFGCM - Air Force good conduct medal
  2. 2&3 OLC - (14 mar 70 - 13 mar 73 & 14 mar 73 - 13 mar 76)
  3. AFM 900-3
  4. AFLSA
  5. 3&4 DLC
  6. AFM 900-3 (appears twice on dd-214)

I also distinctly remember seeing a Vietnam service ribbon on his uniform and box 19 “indochina or Korea service since August 5, 1964” is checked “yes”. I tried to look this up and was able to find legal documents from VA claims which seem to indicate that he was indeed in Vietnam as he says he was. In addition to this his “foreign and/or sea service”

Edit: I found his dd -214 from the Navy which adds the following information. He left the navy a petty officer first class to go AF and while in the Navy he was aboard the carrier USS Ticonderoga (carrier division 3 Oct 1967) as a crypto equipment systems tech (ET-1543). Where he was awarded the following:

1. Good conduct medal 1st and 2nd
  2. National defense service medal
  3. Vietnam service medal

All in all nothing crazy like the guy whose dad was in MAC-V-SOG but I would love to know if anyone can shed additional light?

submitted by /u/StarMasher
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert