Please help with my itinerary: deciding between Port Douglas/Daintree Rainforest/Great Barrier Reef vs. a few extra days in New Zealand

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/vadersgambit
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/vadersgambit

Hi all,

My partner and I finally booked flights for a long-awaited Australia/New Zealand trip and we're so excited! We plan to be there for about 21 days in the fall. Our current itinerary is U.S. > Sydney > Port Douglas > Melbourne > Queenstown > Wellington > Auckland > U.S.

We're going to Port Angeles because it's always been a bucket list item of mine to dive the Great Barrier Reef. I'm not a huge diver but I am certified, though it's been while. We'd arrive in Cairns one day, I'd dive the next while my partner lounges around, we'd explore Daintree Rainforest the following day, then head out to Melbourne on Day 4.

I'm basically wondering what others think in terms of whether or not it's worth making this trip to Port Douglas just for me to dive alone. I can only dive one day, so I won't be able to get far enough out into the reef to really see parts that aren't in bad condition. I worry that the GBF at this point, at least for short day trips, is just not worth visiting at this point (and I wouldn't contribute further to the environmental tourism). On the other hand, I hear this part of Australia is beautiful, and who knows if I'll regret it for the rest of my life having been in that part of the world and not crossing that item off my list.

If we don't go to Port Douglas then we could add a few extra days to our New Zealand leg of the trip. We're planning to explore Queenstown, Fjordlands, and Milford Sound, then take a road trip from Wellington to Auckland over several days. That's nothing to scoff at, especially since we already feel like we're pressed for time (which is crazy with 3 full weeks planned!).

TL;DR: Which would you rather do - take 4 out of 21 days in Australia/NZ to hang around Port Douglas and dive the Great Barrier Reef, or add a few extra days to a NZ cross-country road trip?

Thank you!

submitted by /u/vadersgambit
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...