Choosing a New Jacket for a Geologic Field Camp in Scotland

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/beesbuzzingintensely
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/beesbuzzingintensely

I'll be in Scotland from early June-early July this summer for a geologic field camp. We'll be going between Fife, Moray, and the Northwest Highlands over the course of the month, primarily outdoors for all of it [though we will be staying in hostels, rather than camping where we work].

I've been in geology for three years now, and for all three years, I've been struggling with weather-appropriate wear. I knew I'd be spending time in the mountains this spring, so I bought this coat from L.L. Bean as a way of trying to mitigate any unhappiness due to the temperature and wind. While I've been really happy with my boots from the same company that I've had for years, I really didn't feel like the jacket kept me warm at all [even with a sweatshirt underneath], especially with the wind.

After researching quite a bit about Scottish weather, I know the wind is likely to be killer, especially in the Highlands, so I've looked into getting a new jacket that won't make the month miserable. With that, though, I know that I'll be there in the summer, and the forecasts I've seen so far have generally trended towards 60-70°F/15-20°C, but with wind gusts of 15mph, which is what I'm primarily worried about.

As of now, I'm torn between this jacket from KUHL or this utility hoodie from L.L. Bean. I've never purchased from KUHL before, but one of my professors exclusively wears a coat he bought from them years ago on the same trips I've been freezing on, and I really love the style of it. The utility hoodie seems like a good option as well, though I can't say I love it as much as the KUHL jacket.

If anyone has any opinions on either jacket/hoodie, either brand, or any other suggestions, I would love to have them! I'll be spending a good chunk of my life in the outdoors, so I'm looking to get something that'll last me a while, and that I'll be happy with.

submitted by /u/beesbuzzingintensely
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...