Travelling Egypt and want to go home early.

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/OldMotherDemdikeV2
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/OldMotherDemdikeV2

I've been in Egypt for a week and I'm already desperate to go home. I really hate to say this but it's the worst place I've ever been and I'm hating every second.

I was told there would be constant harassment but I thought every 5 minutes would be reasonable. It really is constant. Every single second you are in public, someone is asking you for money. They see a western person and think walking ATM machine. One guy told us today that £10GPB is nothing to us but for him it will find his family. I can make £10 go a long way too and feed my family. I earn minimum wage and live near the poverty line in the UK. I tried explaining the UK isn't some haven; there's currently no jobs, wages haven't moved in years, cost of living in skyrocketed, I can barely keep up with my own life and yet he looked at me like I was mad. They genuinely believe no one in the UK is in poverty and we all live in extreme luxury.

I've seen several dead kittens in the street, starving and suffering dogs, I saw a woman stone a dog until it was screaming, the amount of work animals suffering is insane. I'm really really struggling having to witness all the animal abuse.

Everyone from the street sellers to the police attempt to scam you.

I spoke to a child street seller to eventually work out he was 4 years old.

The noise does not stop, ever. I've gotten about 10 hours sleep in one week.

If there's an earthquake, most of these buildings will come down. A lot of buildings look like barely any of the brick has been fixed together.

There are people just sat there chilling, having a chat, in the middle of the motorway. There aren't car lanes, people drive wherever. People have all sorts of building materials, furniture piled up high, cows, unsecured balancing on top of their car. Every car is bashed up. Car collisions are no big deal.

There's weird political propaganda of their president hung up on huge billboards everywhere you turn your head.

Today was the last of it for me when I was at the pyramids and some guys on horses were riding them extremely fast. One of them noticed me stood there and therefore decided to turn his horse metres away and aim it right at me. If I did not move in the split second, the horse would have trampled me and I would 100% be dead, no doubt. He turned and manically laughed. I'm really at my limit, especially when people think my life and death is just a silly little fun game to them. It's psychopathic.

My partner refused to pay out the very small amount for a full day tour guide, which would have negated all the harassment and safety issues, and we would have actually learned something about what we were looking at. Now my partner is not speaking to me because I cried, said I wanted to go home, and said this is the very worst place I've ever been to. But it's the truth. I feel like I'm going to lose my relationship because of this hellhole.

Can anyone at least relate for not liking it here?

submitted by /u/OldMotherDemdikeV2
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...