Travelling to South Asia/India alone?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/uwupugsuwu
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/uwupugsuwu

Hello,

I am just graduating from university and I really want to travel. I was supposed to be returning to the job I was working as an intern at but they kind of pulled the rug out from under me (at least for now) and I am currently unemployed. But I always wanted to take time off and I feel like now is a good time. My dad is willing to finance my trip and I have some money myself. However, the point of discussion is mainly about travelling alone...

I am a 23 year old man but I wouldn't consider myself to be super street smart, mainly because I have lived a relatively sheltered life. But what I want out of my travels is to learn about and experience the world and maybe overcome this. I'm just not sure if this is a good idea or not. I live in Canada and have only ever travelled to the US and Germany, so I've never really been outside of the Western world.

I am ethnically half-Indian as my dad was born there but I am incredibly ignorant of the culture and language due to my father being white-washed and having never had it passed down to me. I have always been fascinated by India and its culture because of my interest in Buddhism so that has always been on my list. My mother is German and I am a German citizen so Europe is always an option, but something about South Asia just seems much more in line with the.... spiritual journey I'm looking for (not to fetishize the culture). However, others have raised concerns about me travelling alone.

Like I said, I only speak English and a bit of German so going to somewhere like India without a local seems daunting. I have made several South Asian friends in university who would like to travel with me, but it seems like the timing is not right for them to join me, at least anytime soon. I could wait and plan a trip with them in the future but part of me is always thinking: do I need them? I feel like travelling alone would come with its own benefits as it would truly be MY journey.

What do you guys think? Is it too dangerous to travel to somewhere like South Asia alone? I am not dead-set on India/South Asia but that it is the type of vibe I'm looking for, so if anyone has other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thank you.

submitted by /u/uwupugsuwu
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...