Will my new kitten be safe with my dog? What should I do?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/cannotbelievedis
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/cannotbelievedis

I adopted a kitten yesterday and I took her home. She's 2 months old. I have a dog since 2020, he's a mutt but looks and acts a lot like a smaller German Shepherd. I still live with my family which has always had outside cats (I am particularly against having outside cats, which is why I convinced them to keep this one inside). My dog has always played with cats, he's generally relaxed around them and one thing that he always does is that whenever a car is coming at my house he chases the cats to get them out of the way, or when someone has to go out he always checks under the car to see if there's any cats. He basically checks on them and saves their lives multiple times. He does this with the chickens too (we live in the countryside).

It also isn't really news for him to have a cat in the house, because even if we used to have outside cats, they spent a lot of time inside and he was always fine with it.

But what scared me is that 1. He once attacked one of my old cats over food, it was just one time thing but it was really scary. The cat was completely fine, but again, it was scary. Since it happened over food I'm never letting my dog and my new kitten eat at the same time and in the same room, I make him go outside while she eats and only let him inside when she's finished. 2. Sometimes he chases the cats or the chickens. When he was younger, he always wanted to grab the cats and use them as toys and we had to stop him multiple times. I wonder if he does all of this because he wants to play or because he has a high prey drive.

I've been watching him since yesterday to see what he does with my kitten. As soon as I got her home he was really curious and started wiggling his tail at her, but then he immediately got bored and was basically indifferent, he acted like he always did but sometimes looked at her and wiggled his tail, I can't really tell if it's because he's just really curious and wants to play.

Sometimes he gives her a dirty look but not in an angry way, more like he's annoyed and wants the attention all for himself. He's always been jealous, whenever I used to pet my cats or whenever people chat or hug and don't include him, he tries to get in the middle and whimpers while wiggling his tail.

I just want to make sure that she's safe, cause I feel like my dog is kind of unpredictable, he's always changing mood and attitude and as someone who's not a dog expert I can never tell if it's problematic behaviour or not.

One other notable thing is that he's really stubborn and doesn't always immediately listen whenever he does something wrong. Again, he changes, sometimes he wants to listen and other times he wants to do whatever he wants. I've always wanted to get him trained, but he's a family dog, I study and don't make any money yet, so the choice isn't really mine unfortunately.

What should I do? How do I make sure that my dog doesn't have any bad intentions with her and that she can be safe?

submitted by /u/cannotbelievedis
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert