Two leg Aegean Air "Bid to Upgrade Challenge" question

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/Secure-Ad3372
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/Secure-Ad3372

Hi,

My wife and I are flying Istanbul (IST) to Bologna (BLQ) in early September. I bought my tickets on Aegean's website and opted for ComfortFlex since we will each have a suitcase. We have a connecting flight in Athens (I assume this is their hub) with a 2 hour layover.

They give me the option to bid on an upgrade to business for both legs separately for each of us. The benefit of the lounge pre-boarding and ability to check two bags entices me to bid the lowest for the first one, but not at all on the second. We only have a 2 hour layover in Athens. The first leg lowest bid is cheaper than the second.

That being said, if I bid on the first leg for the one extra bag for each of us, but not on the second (which is more expensive), should there be any issue once we get to BLQ? I can't imagine they would put one bag on the conveyor and move the other to the new plane.

What I *can* see is shenanigans at IST check-in (I have read some interesting stories with luggage at that airport, but not this airline) with them telling me I have to upgrade the second leg to business in order to ensure my bag gets there "safely".

-Thanks in advance

Extended info since many people always ask "Why would you do this?": Keep in mind we are digital nomads, and my wife has issues traveling light. I did plan on upgrading my crappy old carry-on to a Samsonite Essen (it is an awesome suitcase I got in Rome and I get a lot of compliments in the states). We have subsequent flights and a repositioning cruise with upgrades to first/business for 2 bags and expanded weight til we get back to our "home base" in the states in December - so the question is do we purchase our suitcases the two weeks we are in Istanbul and try this method, or stick to upgrading during the 90 days we are in Italy (original plan).

submitted by /u/Secure-Ad3372
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert