TV Review: ‘3 Body Problem’

• Thread starter Thread starter Moviefone
  • Start date Start date
M

Moviefone

Launching on Netflix with all eight episodes on Thursday March 21st, ‘3 Body Problem’ represents two gigantic challenges all at once: how do the creators of the ‘Game of Thrones’ TV adaptation follow their mammoth fantasy undertaking, and how do they do it using one of the most acclaimed science fiction novel series of recent years?As it turns out, the answer is: with an abundance of brains and style, putting together a quality cast and fully using the resources offered by Netflix’s deep pockets to bring the novels’ story (or at least the first in the ‘Remembrance of Earth’s Past’ trilogy, which in book form is known as ‘The Three-Body Problem’) to life.

Continue reading...

Premiering on Prime Video March 21st is ‘Road House,’ which is a remake of the classic Patrick Swayze action movie. The new film was directed by Doug Liman (‘Mr. & Mrs. Smith,’ ‘The Bourne Identity’) and stars Jake Gyllenhaal (‘Spider-Man: Far From Home,’ ‘Ambulance’) as Dalton.

Continue reading...

Opening in theaters on May 3rd is ‘The Fall Guy,’ starring Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Hannah Waddingham, Winston Duke, Stephanie Hsu, and Teresa Palmer.Initial ThoughtsThe best part about ‘The Fall Guy’ is its clear affection and loving respect for stuntpeople and the incredibly dangerous work they do to make movies as exciting as possible.

Continue reading...

In theaters on Friday, March 15th, ‘Arthur the King’ is the latest movie to be based on a true-life tale that throws all you might expect in about endurance, endeavor, sportsmanship and the love of animals, but slips into a few too many easy plot and emotional pitfalls.

Continue reading...

Opening in theaters on Friday March 22nd is ‘Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire,’ starring Paul Rudd, Carrie Coon, Finn Wolfhard, Mckenna Grace, Kumail Nanjiani, Patton Oswalt, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, and Annie Potts.

Continue reading...

Premiering on Disney+ on March 20, ‘X-Men ‘97’ will pick up from where season 5 of the original series left off in 1997. The series consists of ten episodes with updated animation in the same style and features returning voice talents such as Cal Dodd, Lenore Zann, Alison Sealy-Smith, and George Buza reprising their roles.

Continue reading...

Opening in theaters on March 22nd is ‘Immaculate,’ starring Sydney Sweeney, Álvaro Morte, Benedetta Porcaroli, Dora Romano, Giorgio Colangeli, and Simona Tabasco.Initial ThoughtsWhile the sight of Sydney Sweeney costumed in a nun’s habit might be jarring enough for viewers of her more provocative work in series and movies like ‘Anyone But You,’ ‘Euphoria’ or ‘The Voyeurs,’ there’s a lot more that will rattle you in director Michael Mohan’s creepy and entertainingly lurid ‘Immaculate.

Continue reading...

I’m talking about when Anton gets in a car crash and asks the two kids for help. The fact that the kid just gives him his shirt clearly contrasts with the group of guys who require payment to give Llewelyn a coat. One guy won’t even give the injured and bloody man the rest of his beer unless he coughs up more money. I thought this was just a commentary on how selfish adults are compared with children, and Anton pays the kid anyway because of his worldview that humans can only have transactional relationships. And his worldview might be correct in the end. Who’s to say that kid won’t lose his innocence and demand money from an injured man like the adults did? He probably will, when the police find Carla jeans body there’s a good chance he’ll hear about it and realize he helped a murderer.

submitted by /u/ExceedsTheCharacterL
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

I'm not Russian but this was pointed out to me by a Russian friend. Afterward, I googled it and saw that yes, many other people had noticed it too.

In the movie, The Bourne Identity, there is a scene where we see Jason discovering his identity. Pay attention to the name on the fake passport (see video). There, the name KINIAEV is written in Cyrillic (which is the alphabet used for Russian and many other languages) and if you can read it, you will realize it says "Lshtshfum Aschf."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Edit: If still confusing, this post from a Redditor user (Timchik) may be helpful:

"Instead of writing Киняев as his surname in the passport, the prop artists simply switched to the Cyrillic keyboard layout and typed out K-I-N-I-A-E-V. The letters don't map onto each other between keyboard layouts (the Russian К is not in the same spot as the English K, Russian И is not in the same spot as English I, etc.); also, the "IA" in English represents a single letter (Я). As a result, what they ended up with is ЛШТШФУМ, which is gibberish to a Russian speaker and transliterates as Lshtshfum. "

submitted by /u/e_2718
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Rewatched Sicario (2015) recently and the film still holds up as a great watch. If you haven’t seen it, highly recommend. It has incredible cinematography a score that is both haunting and ambiguous with great performances all around. Also features a breathtaking scene that I won’t spoil.

What stood out to me on the rewatch was the difference between the screenplay wrote by Sheridan and the Final Cut of the film, specifically, the difference in Alejandro’s character. I read the screenplay after my first watch.

The ambiguous nature of Alejandro’s character is almost lost in the screenplay to a point where the character feels like a different person than what we saw on the screen. Major props to Denis and Benicio as they apparently slashed 90% of Alejandro’s dialogues and it created one of the most memorable characters in recent memory.

Not taking away any praise Sheridan deserves for writing a good screenplay that could have stood on its own legs but it’s incredible how a great director, cinematography and actor can collaborate to elevate a good screenplay into a great film.

submitted by /u/LuisCrez
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

So it recently dawned on me that North, famous for being one of Ebert's most hated movies (he used the word "hated" ten times in a 3 sentence paragraph), had not just a notable cast but an absolutely stellar cast.

I'm talking about a cast that includes a Best Actress (Oscar), Best Supporting Actor (Oscar), 2 Best Actors (Emmy), 1 Best Actor (Tony), 1 Best Featured Actress (Tony), a three-time Grammy Award Winner, Julia Luis Dreyfus (who alone has a Mark Twain Award, Best Supporting Actress Emmy, and a Best Lead Actress Emmy x6), and that's before we even get to Frodo Baggins.

What other kids' movies (live-action) have similarly outstanding casts?

submitted by /u/ToddUnctious
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert