Should my friend keep her pet?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/NativeStrangerMusic
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/NativeStrangerMusic

My friend has a 6 year old Pomeranian, she’s a rescue and has been through two homes before her. She’s had her for 5 years now. She initially got her to keep, but her parents didn’t want a pet in the house so her Pom stayed at her ex-boyfriend’s house instead. She would have her Pom on weekends (since it was just two days and her parents would let it slide), but the rest of the week would be spent at his house.

They recently broke up, and she is now looking to keep her Pom as she has her own apartment now, however she feels like giving her up and leaving her at her ex’s home may be a good option. Her ex has two other dogs (ages 10 & 11) and she feels that she may have acclimated to his household. Her dog would never leave the house, get taken for walks, and never had much (if anything) to do in his house, so she was fairly deprived of having the good life that a doggo should.

She’s had her for 3 weeks now and she gets walked regularly, gets taken to parks, and has gotten to socialize and interact with other dogs and humans. These key notes aside, she feels bad about the decision and feels that her dog may be depressed about the change. Her dog would always act up and show signs of separation anxiety when she would be left alone with her ex in her home on weekends, however the opposite would never happen (in regards to the pup having separation anxiety with her ex).

She’s asking me to post on Reddit to get some unbiased, objective opinions on what to do. Any and all feedback is welcome! :)

TL;DR - My friend wants to keep her dog after breaking up with her ex. Her dog seems to favor her but she’s unsure as to what to do regardless of the fact that she can give her a “better life”.

submitted by /u/NativeStrangerMusic
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...