Possibly Unpopular Opinion: The main character in American Housewife is insufferable. I just watched the first episode and didn’t like Katie at all. D

Vast Vendace

Registered
Possibly Unpopular Opinion: The main character in American Housewife is insufferable. I just watched the first episode and didn’t like Katie at all. Does she get any better if I continue watching?

I loved Katy Mixon in Mike and Molly. I decided to give this show a watch cause I’ve seen it recommended a lot. I have only seen the first episode. I just can’t get past the attitude of the main character, Katie. I find her to be very hypocritical. She hates the other moms because they are the typical rich skinny moms who drink green juice and are judgmental, I guess? We can see a few interactions between Katie and “those moms.” To be fair, they do come off as “fake-nice” but the show doesn’t properly set these women up as the villains they’re made out to be. They truly don’t do anything to her. And as far as likability, Katie isn’t much better than the other moms. I find her to be selfish, arrogant and even more judgmental. She definitely cares about aesthetics just as much as the other moms because she spends the entire first episode trying to get a larger plus size woman to move into “Fat Pam’s” old house so she’s not the “fattest mom.”

Maybe I’m not getting the point and Katie is supposed to be a bad person. But given that her behavior is only reinforced by those around her and she doesn’t really face any consequences for anything, it just seems that you’re supposed to root for her. Overall, this was a disappointing watch.

There are better shows with a plus size lead that are relatable and not unbearable. Drop Dead Diva or Mike and Molly would be better picks than this.

submitted by /u/bubblegumcandypop
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert