My boyfriend killed his pet lizard and I have no idea what to do.

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/Mindless_Reuse
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/Mindless_Reuse

My boyfriend got a free crested gecko from a friend almost 6months ago. Last night we found her dead at the bottom of her tank, it was only after we found her that he told me she hadn't been eating in weeks and had regurgitated a cricket. He never went to the vet because he trusted Google when it said to wait for weight changes (I think the Google answers were likely aimed at snakes) and didn't think the cricket problem as an actual issue.

I'm a mix of mad and disappointed in myself. I've volunteered at exotics rescues and I have hands on experience with many issues. Had I known there were issues I have 3 vets on standby for my own reptiles- he knows this as he often goes with me to pet checkups. I never handled her because she was apparently very skiddish and I didn't want to stress her out unnecessarily... seeing her last night and doing a once over I think she was likely eggbound, with very depleted calcium sacks and potentially some other combination of issues. If I had looked her over throughly as all during the last month I likely would've seen this and this whole situation could've been avoided.

I dont know what to do... my boyfriend is pretty much catatonic and I'm considering bringing him to an inpatient facility but i need to contact his work to make sure he wont lose his job- he won't eat or drink because he doesn't think he deserves it.

Has anyone gone through a similar thing? Is there anything I can say to help? He didn't know how severe things were but he said that isn't an excuse (which I agree with) but I don't want him to spiral further.

submitted by /u/Mindless_Reuse
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...