Just got told to bring an extra 30% of the cost of our Salkantay/Inca trek in tips

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/marty_0001
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/marty_0001

So my wife and I just had our trek briefing where we paid $1000USD each for the cost of the 7D/6N trek for Salkantay and Inca. We have just been advised to bring extra cash for: - Tipping the 6 porters/cooks group: 40USD each - Tipping the horseman for the Salkantay portion: 30USD - Tipping the guide himself: he didn't bring up tipping him but I could guess it would be the highest

All up I am thinking this is about 30% of additional costs. While the website says tips are appreciated but optional, I'm now getting the feeling like they're somewhat expected and it would be rude not to.

We found out we're the only ones on the trek so, from what I can google, we have unintentionally landed on a private tour and so can't share the cost of tips across a group in a pool.

We had thought we would pay some tips but now the rate seems higher, for more people, and it's just us paying. It's come as a bit of a shock given the website guidance and tour operator saying there wouldn't be much cash needed for the trek. Any advice?

submitted by /u/marty_0001
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...