Ideas for a 10-12 trip in July from the US?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/uniqueme1
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/uniqueme1

Some background: We are a family of 5 (2 adults, kids 14, 13, and 10), based near Washington DC. We are experienced travelers both in the US and internationally. Some examples of trips recently taken: Italy 10 days (Naples/Rome/Florence/Venice) for spring break, we went to the Bahamas last January, spring break last year we did Utah (Moab)/Grand Canyon/Vegas, Portugal/Spain/London/Iceland for 20 days over the summer... plus various domestic trips driving and flying (Maine, Boston, Niagara Falls, Florida, Houston, San Francisco/Bay area) . We tend to pack a lot in our vacations , we love to both hike and experience new cultures. We aren't really "sit at a resort" type people (at least more than a couple of days) . Both my wife and I traveled independently around the world before we met, so its a value we share and are committed to sharing with the kids. Luckily (although maybe not so much for our wallets), they seem to have gotten the travel bug themselves.

Our travel plans this year got disrupted (long story) so things we had planned for the fall have fallen through, so we have some time this summer (in July) to do a 10-12 day family trip. We are trying to come up with something we could reasonably do on relatively short notice and not completely break the bank (the Italy trip we recently did was costly.)

Going through our family bucket/wish list (Japan, Thailand, Costa Rica, Morocco, Egypt, Australia, New Zealand) all seem too short, too expensive, too far, or too hot for July.

I'd do a trip to Seattle and the PNW, but my wife and I are already doing a week there in May for our anniversary. I would love to do a Yellowstone trip, but everything seems to be sold out in and near the park. Same with the Canadian Rockies (Banff).

Top contenders right now include San Diego, although not sure if a 10 day trip centered around there in July would be okay (Joshua Tree would be prohibitively hot, no?) Colombia was a place that was suggested as well- flights to Bogota are relatively inexpensive and maybe we can do a 3-4 day trip down to the Amazon from there.

I know we're fortunate to be in a position right now to do this type of travel, although in a few years the kids will be out to college and forging their own lives - and who knows what the future has in store for any of us. Seizing the moment to do it since we can.

Would love to crowdsource some off the beaten path ideas or things we are not considering!

submitted by /u/uniqueme1
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...