I am getting annoyed with inconvenient "explore" mechanics in linear games.

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/Bdag
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/Bdag

So by this I mean, "Arrow points down this path, but there's also a path in the opposite direction which MAY hold something valuable!!! (it won't, it'll be a potion or something).

This actually infuriates me. Games that are mostly guilty of annoying me by doing this seem to be created by Square Enix. I remember the first time I felt like I had to look at two paths, decide which of the two were least likely to progress the story, then try my damndest to choose technically the wrong path so I could grab whatever bordline useless item MIGHT be tucked away back there was Final Fantasy 10.

I end up in a new area and I swear to God half my time is spent running along the border of the map to make sure I'm not missing some hidden gap in a bush or something that is containing some cool game changing item, which it never is.

Only games to do this right are From Soft games because when they do this fuckery it had some cool weapon or spell or something, and The Witcher because it would more than likely come with some bad ass story and cut scenes.

Basically, don't make me comb the map if all you're going to give me is some consumable or other useless garbage. Other games set the precedent for exploration rewards and if you can't come close to offering what they do, don't try.

And this new thing games like Stellar Blade are doing where you can hold a button to basically send out a ping that shows you everything around you is even worse in my opinion. My completionist, can't miss anything, brain can't get past this mechanic. I use it on cooldown multiple times without moving to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Just feels like a weak motivator for people to explore your game.

That's all.

submitted by /u/Bdag
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert