How to handle worried parents' solo travel and interested employers. Grad trip

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/alpalblue83
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/alpalblue83

I'm going to Serbia for my best friend's wedding, and then from there, I will travel up to Montenegro, Croatia, Italy, France, Austria, Germany, and Poland. After spending time with a family member, I'm going to Japan to meet with my partner for 3 weeks. All the planning for that is done; my issue concerns job security and dealing with worried parents. (My pops is worried about me traveling solo... well, I haven't told him, but he seems like the type of guy who'd lose his shit).

So here's my deal: I'm graduating with my BA in psychology (I know, to be fair, I was fully prepared to become a Clinical Psychologist specializing in memory and perception). Got all As in my courses mostly. I will probably start grad school in the fall of 2025. (I have to take two classes in CC during fall 2024 to be eligible for admission for an MA in Statistics and prepare for the GRE.) I also want to present my research to WPA to put it on my CV, which won't happen till fall. I have 7 months of clinical experience, 5 years working at the same place, one internship under my belt, and 2 years of research experience.

However, my dad wants me to work during the summer, but to be frank, I just want to get away for a bit. I've been saving for this summer to travel for 3 months since I was a freshman in college. I get that I'm older (25), which may look strange on my resume, but I don't think it's horrible while I'm still youngish. People around me, including my academic advisor, my dad, and older relatives, keep suggesting I just start at the planned work position after graduation while saving what I already have... I'm applying now, but won't be available to work until early September in Vegas. How do you guys explain that to interested employers? You're so fully ready to jump in after being gone. I should mention I already got the tickets. Have there been any recent graduates in this position?

submitted by /u/alpalblue83
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert