How to gets cats and dogs to get along??

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/Cat_named_George
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/Cat_named_George

I have 2 cats both are 4 that we’ve had for most of their lives (a black cat since he was 8 weeks and a gray tabby since he was 6 months) last year we got a dog so I could take her on hikes and not hike alone. (Note: we were traveling for my schooling and the cats were staying with my parents because they get car sick. My partner took the summer off to travel with me and so she could be with the dog to train it and that felt like the right time for us to get a dog)

I fell in love with a border collie/ACD mix and She was very timid at the shelter. And we had her cat tested at the shelter where they literally brought a cat out while the dog was on a leash. The dog did not react so we took her home. I love her so much and I could never imagine my life without her. Evidently she is reactive to everything and we’ve done so much (professional) training with her. She has overcome her reactivity to people and dogs, but our cats are an issue.

My gray tabby attacks her. So it’s not as simple as making sure the cats have places to run because THEY DONT RUN. The cats attack the dog and then she defends herself but she is much bigger than them so my partner yells at the dog which makes her more reactive and the cycle goes on.

We tried feeding them on opposite sides of a baby gate (the tabby jumps it to attack her), we have tried getting them used to each other through a glass Arcadia door (now they fight through the door), we have the cats out in a catio and let the dog roam the yard and they ignore each other but inside is a mad house. The black cat is okay with the dog (we muzzle the dog) but if it’s BOTH cats it all falls apart. We keep them separate and have them switch who is with us every few hours but it’s unsustainable. I just went into the room with the dog to grab something and the tabby followed me to attack the dog and a full brawl broke out where my partner got injured. I do not know what to do now.

Any tips?

submitted by /u/Cat_named_George
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...