Cat is suddenly aggressive to dog, currently pregnant and worried.

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/howcanihelp13
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/howcanihelp13

Help on cat and dog relationships.

I have a 7 yr old dog and my husband has a 3 year old cat. They have been fine since we introduced them in August.

They got along well, often play and sometimes even slept next to each other. My dog is pretty chill and not aggressive at all, she gets scared really easily and has never attacked or gone for the cat (or anyone).

Some context: Dog is mine and my partner began living with us half the week from August with the cat at my apartment. We got a new place, partner moved first with cat and we joined 10 days later with my 3 year old daughter and dog last month (28 days ago)

On Thursday, the cat attacked our dog completely unprovoked and was aggressive in a way none of us have every seen. My dog got so scared, she peed all over the floor and was shaking really badly. She didn’t seem to have any cuts or injuries.

We had to remove the dog to a different room in her cage for things to cool down. It seemed fine in morning but in the afternoon, the cat went for her again.

She ran to her cage where the cat continued to hiss at her until I came from downstairs.

The cat just went for my dog again, 100% unprovoked, she was just on the rug. The cat chased her to her pen and swiped at her until we could intervene. Let just say there’s blood everywhere and I’m taking my dog to an emergency appointment (it’s a cut under her eye and I’m hoping it’s nothing serious)

I’m ngl my partner is overly obsessed with his cat and ended up sleeping downstairs the first two times saying how his cat is lonely and how we need to let her sleep in our room. I have asthma, allergies and I’m currently pregnant so my sleep is terrible. Since the cat wakes me up in the night and my asthma peaks at night, I’ve always made it clear I can’t and won’t have pets in the bedroom.

He’s now suggesting we buy my dog a bigger enclosure so that we can “keep her safe in there” and I think it’s super unfair. He said that not letting his cat stay free reign will stress her out. But I am noticing my dog showing signs of stress too being closed up. So I can feel this becoming a bit of an issue…

I’m also really annoyed that after the cat attacked the dog, he automatically picks the cat up, strokes her to “calm her down” and uses some bullshit baby voice with her. I admit I lost my shit at him because I feel like he’s reinforcing this negative behaviour. I told him he needs to remove the cat from the room and give her attention after she is relaxed. Is this wrong?!

Surely there’s got to be a reason and some ways to defuse this kind of behaviour. Any help would be fantastic!

I’ve always had dogs and cats and never experienced any issues, I’m also confused why it would become so intense now 9 months without problems ?! I’m guessing the move and stress has reached a threshold for the cat but not really sure how to help things improve.

I’m also really worried as my 3 year old does not grasp the differences in our dog and cat so I feel it’s only a matter of time before she gets hurt. Plus the paranoia of the cat attacking the newborn, expected in 3 months…

It’s also difficult to have them in a separate room. We have a huge open plan living room, dining kitchen area and my dog usually stays away from the cats area. But the bedrooms upstairs are only enough for us and kids.

My husband gives the cat lots of attention everyday. I’m also working from home and give her attention when she comes for it. She have lots of special areas, tower and other things. Both are female and both are neutered.

Advice please!

submitted by /u/howcanihelp13
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...