How do I give my pets more enrichment when my parents are making it hard?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/Low-Cardiologist-135
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/Low-Cardiologist-135

I am a teen and in desperate need of advice from people who know what they're doing. For background info, my family got my dog and cat when I was pretty young. My dog was a puppy when I was around 5 and we got my cat a good three years later. My parents never wanted pets, at least my mom didn't, but my dad insisted that me and my brother needed a permanent friend around.

The problem arises with how absolutely guilty I feel now that I can't give my pets everything and more. My dog isn't allowed on walks anymore because my parents think he's aggressive, but I've never seen him lash out when it wasn't deserved. He also only has one toy, a pathetic red bone, and has to spend most of his day outside despite not having a dog house. My cat is also a problem. He doesn't have any toys and is very overweight. He eats the same dry kibble every day, but I don't think it's good for him. When I try to put him on a diet by only feeding him at specific times to help improve his health, someone ignores it and feeds him anyways. Also, neither of them are allowed in my room, so I rarely get to spend much time with them.

For the past few months, I've been going behind my parents backs and buying the two of them treats when I'm on school lunch break (we have off-campus lunch and I typically buy my food from the local corner store, which conveniently has treats). Still, I feel like it's not enough. I'm at school for the whole day and my dad is always at work. My mom, as wonderful of a human as she is, doesn't really like our pets.

I'm making plans to hitch a ride with a friend of mine to the local pet store and get the two of them some better toys with some money I've been saving. I've been lying to my parents and telling them that the treats are from friends who bought them for their pets then didn't use them. I know I can just tell the truth, but I feel like they won't understand. I told one of my friends about everything and she's very sympathetic. I just need to know what I can do to make their lives better because i feel like they're miserable.

If anyone can give some suggestion on what I can do for them, I'd love to hear. Thanks for reading.

submitted by /u/Low-Cardiologist-135
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...