Cancelled Hostel Advice

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/df990
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/df990

Going on an inter rail trip around Europe with a group of 5, booked a hostel through Hostelworld in Bled, Slovenia and chose the non refundable option as it was cheaper. It was pay 86 euros on booking and did not say when the rest was to be paid. Hostel World then attempted to charge me the balance, which I didn’t have the funds for in my account at the time.

So, stupidly I panicked and cancelled the booking and went to get my group to send me the remainder of what they owed so I could rebook with enough funds. But I forgot that it was non refundable, and I couldnt get my 86 euro back.

I then received an email from the hostel saying they would take legal advice if I didn’t pay them the remaining 520 euro as I cancelled a non refundable booking. The receptionist sent me his phone number to converse over WhatsApp. I text him to say it was a misunderstanding, and we wished to still stay with them and pay the remainder. He seemed understanding, but one morning asked to call and I was unavailable. I replied, and he never text back. So I followed up and still no reply. That was 4 weeks ago.

My question is 1) should we cut our losses and book elsewhere and 2) if we did book elsewhere, can the hostel legally make me pay the remainder (I am an Irish resident). I’m aware this conundrum is my own fault, any help appreciated.

submitted by /u/df990
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...