The vet removed 15 teeth from my dog without telling me!

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/jpmistry
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/jpmistry

So my dog had a few issues with his teeth. Conscious it needed dealing with, I took some photos and showed them to the vet as my dog is a nervous wreck and wont let vets look in his mouth. They said straight away they can help and he may need to have a few teeth out (literally what he said).

A few days later, i bring him in ready for his op. The vet still hasn’t physically inspected the inside of his mouth yet and before i let him go, i had to sign a consent form to allow him to be put under and to allow teeth removal if required etc. I didn’t think much of this and signed it as it seemed normal.

Fast forward 4 hours, i get a call saying all sorted, the dog has had some teeth out and is doing fine, come get him.. so i did and before leaving, they showed me a diagram to show where he’s had teeth out and had some stitches and so on.. this would have been a good point to tell me that they took out 15 teeth but never even mention it. I noticed at first glance that many teeth were taken out but with my dog being stressed, i just wanted to get him home as soon as possible. After getting home, i noticed how many teeth they took out and was genuinely horrified that they didn’t call to tell me what he needed doing. I’ve no doubt that most, if not all of the work was needed but could we have discussed whether they were all absolutely necessary. Could we have phased it so it wasn’t all in one go.. Could i have at least been given some notice on what to expect and how this might change things for my dog going forward.. i got nothing from them! There must be some sort of code of conduct they should be following here because after all, if it was their pet or child or anyone, wouldn’t they expect to be told exactly what is being done before its done? Especially since they hadn’t looked in his mouth until after they put him to sleep!

My dog is now getting better but extremely sheepish around eating food and I now need to reconsider everything i give him as hard food no longer appears to be on the menu.

submitted by /u/jpmistry
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...