Bed bug found in hotel, Hotel claims extortion & blackmail - Bologna, Italy

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/ErthWermSlim
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/ErthWermSlim

Hello! Big fan of the sub - long time listener, first time caller.

I am in a weird situation in Italy... We checked into a hotel in Bologna, Italy. Upon arrival, we saw a dead bedbug on the headboard of the bed. We reached out to the hotel through WhatsApp (no front desk) and sent pics of the bed bug and asked if there was another room available. They basically told us there was no room available and it wasn't an issue, just stay there. We said no, that wouldn't work, as a room with bed bugs cannot a habitable environment.

Finally, after no solution from booking.com or the hotel, around 11pm we had enough and booked another hotel so we could sleep. The bed bug hotel is refusing to refund our stay, saying that they checked for bed bugs and didn't find any (other than the dead one we reported).

Here's where it gets weird... We asked again for a refund, stating that we would post a negative review with picture evidence. They initially responded that, yes, they would refund. Then, a few hours later, they said they were reaching out to international authorities for extortion, blackmail, and defamation and no refund would be given.

I honestly do not think we are defaming anyone, since our claim is true. There was a bedbug and we did not see that as acceptable. Has anyone experienced this kind of thing? What actions can we take from here? Is this actual blackmail??

If this is the wrong sub, I am sorry. But I wanted to put this out there anyway to see if anyone had experience or info.

For context, my wife and I are 3 months into a 6 month trip through Europe from the US. The original hotel stay was for 4 nights in Balogna (€550). I really don't want to eat that cost for not wanting to sleep with bed bugs.

For some reason, right now, I cannot attach any images of the bug or the conversation. When I figure out how, I will.

submitted by /u/ErthWermSlim
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...