What's the best simple software/app/method to put photos/video in geographic (3d?) context?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/salukikev
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/salukikev

My kid is off to the races with our travel adventures and I'm starting to lose track of where we've all been! Beyond just a photo album(s), I'd like to create an interactive map- in my mind it's a globe like google earth or one of the similar permutations where I can click around and pin exactly where we were standing (when possible) even if I have to manually place a pin or whatever for the many photos I have that don't have GPS metadata. Its not essential that it be online, but I guess that could be useful. It's mainly just for our family. It might be that google earth is simply the answer and I just need to learn how to use it better. My first attempt had me adding placemarks, and then renaming them, then "adding local image" to the description and I end up with a bunch of yellow tacks everywhere. It does capture the gist of it, but kind of a hassle and probably not the right workflow. Maybe I'll end up with more of an artistic/collage slant and choose one pic per state/city/country & have the pic be the background image. I've changed my photo setting to include gps metadata to hopefully streamline things but I use lots of sources beyond my phone- also I use videos often. So- what are your favorite travel documenting apps?

submitted by /u/salukikev
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...