How can I transition my puppy to peeing outside

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/Prudent_Specific7576
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/Prudent_Specific7576

I recently got a puppy. She's been with me for two months now. She's 15 weeks old and just last week I got the all clear by her vet to be able to start venturing outside after completing all her vaccinations.

So far, I've been doing all her training inside, and she's been doing her business in certain spots in the apartment. I try to take her with me to the bathroom as often as I can (the bathroom is easier to clean and disinfect), and I have set up her puppy pads in the preferred areas, so as to avoid leaving pee and poop on the floor, but sometimes she misses. I still clean often, most times right after she's done, so as to avoid having to live around her mess.

I live in a very small apartment: a room at ground level consisting of the kitchen and dining/living room area, and an upstairs bedroom with a bathroom, plus a small balcony. There was absolutely no chance of training her to go outside before she got all her vaccinations, so she just got used to doing it inside.

It's only been a week, but so far I've got mixed results and a ton of frustration. I wake up really early, pull on some pants and take her outside, because I know she needs to go first thing in the morning. I've been living in my jeans so I can take her out every hour or so. Sometimes she goes outside, she has even chosen a spot in front of our door. She knows that, if she does her business, she gets a treat, so she gets super excited after she's done and I praise her.

Many many times, though, she just refuses to go, just sits there, pulls on the leash towards the door, whines. I try not to cave in and just wait it out, she must tire and pee at some point. But some other times I need to go to the bathroom, or eat, or just sit down, or get away from the mosquitoes. And when I do cave in and just go inside, she pees inside immediately.

How do I get her to just go outside and phase out the peeing and pooping inside?

submitted by /u/Prudent_Specific7576
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...