I want to get rid of my dog's crate due to association with abuse, but I know it's important for every dog to have a crate

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/EeveeQueen15
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/EeveeQueen15

So, I have two Chihuahuas. Rocky who is 12 years old and 7 pounds and Eevee who is 3 years old and around 10 pounds. Rocky has a crate but Eevee can't be comfortable in it.

I finally got out in June of last year, but the two years before that, my mom started making up different issues to kick me out over. She was very mentally and emotionally abusive. One of the made up issues was Eevee somehow getting downstairs to the basement, where the door was always shut because my mom didn't want Eevee downstairs, and peeing everywhere. And yes, my mom has her own Chihuahua who has been caught peeing on stuff in the house.

Anyway, she forced me to buy a crate for Eevee. She wanted me to put him in there while I was gone, while I slept, and even while I was working from home and could see him the entire time. Anytime I go to my mom's for something, that crate just feels me with dread.

However, as a dog trainer, I know how important it is for a dog to have a crate. If they don't have a bed, they will rest in a crate. If an emergency happens, the crate will keep him safe (the crate is actually too big to carry tho, but it can fit both dogs).

Should I get rid of the crate due to the association with my abusive mom? Or should I endure the dread and stress it gives me in case of an emergency? Tbh I'd rather get both dogs one of those crates that's also a bed but I don't have the money for it right now.

submitted by /u/EeveeQueen15
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...