Do I really have to get rid of my dog??

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/pawshine_again
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/pawshine_again

So I have a 1 (almost 2) year old Maltipoo who my family adopted from a shelter (I have had her since she was 10 months old). This dog isn't very trained, she doesn't listen to many commands. I know she knows them she just seems to not be actually listening to them half of the time? On top of that she wasn't socialized as a puppy so she has major anxiety pretty much 24/7 she does not tolerate other animals especially dogs (the closest she's gotten was sniffing my neighbors dog nose to nose and then immediately going back to barking at it). She is also very accident prone, sometimes she does submission peeing and sometimes she's so excited she pees but other times she just goes pee in the house just cause even though I am taking her on multiple walks daily...even if there's 2 or 3 potty pads strewn about she still goes pee on the floor. Never poop only pee. I was told by her vet that she has a recessed vulva which I heard can be responsible for some of the accidents?? She hates (most) men and she's even bitten 2 family members (both children, one was not respecting her boundaries by petting her stomach from behind her while she did not know he was there and the other tried to pet her while she was mid bark and I am not sure exactly what happened)

Anyway she's got alot of problems, because of this my family gave her to me. I have been trying for a year to help her get better, socialize her, potty train her better, get a better hygiene routine going to help with her vulva and frequent utis. We have made some steps...but its not enough. I have alot going on in my life at the moment, I had to move into an apartment after living with my dog in a house. She isn't adjusting too well even though it's only been about 3 weeks. She hates all my neighbors, barks very often (not constantly and it doesn't seem to be much of an issue with the neighbors because there are other dogs here who also bark, more than my dog at times), she barks at anything that moves when I am taking her on walks, and she keeps having accidents in the building. Even if we are right at the door its like she makes an effort to pee on the rug inside the building. One time I took her for a walk, sat down and let her wander around a little while, she pooped and peed and I walked around some more and as soon as we got to my apartment door she pooped in the hallway as I was unlocking my apartment. I feel like I could just rip my hair out...but I love my dog.

My boyfriend seems to think I should rehome her, and I do know someone (albeit not very well or personally) who would like to adopt her. I don't have much time for her lately anyway, on a day to day basis I have plenty of time for her but recently I was presented with a life change that requires I leave my house on a semi-regular basis for a minimum of 7 weeks at a time and when I go on these trips I can't bring any pets. I don't know what to do...I don't want to give up my dog to someone who I can't at least go and visit her from time to time.

Is there possibly something I can do besides just fully adopting her out? Like some way I could have someone keep her temporarily for those 7 weeks when I am not in town and I still pay for her medical care, food, toys ect? Or would something like that not be fair to my dog? Do I really have to throw in the towel and never see my sweet girl in person ever again?

TLDR: Is there something I can do with my poorly trained dog when I am out of town for 7 weeks at a time or should I just rehome her??

submitted by /u/pawshine_again
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...