Burning season effect on visibility in northern Vietnam and Laos in April?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/XenorVernix
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/XenorVernix

I am planning my trips for 2025 and Vietnam is the big one for me. I have an itinerary mapped out over 3+ weeks that starts in Hanoi, and visits Ha Long Bay, Ban Gioch, Cao Bang, Ha Giang loop, Ninh Binh, Phong Nha/Hang En cave, Hue and down to Hoi An. Pretty fast paced but that's how I travel and I'm comfortable with the itinerary. Just trying to decide when to go.

I am drawn towards April because in the UK I am forced to take 2 days off over easter and another at the start of May, so I can essentially do a 4 week trip with requesting only 17 days off rather than 20. Very appealing, and allows me to extend my 3 week Vietnam itinerary to include around 5 days in northern Laos. Mainly Luang Probang and Viang Veng.

Then I read about something called the burning season and I feel like this plan isn't going to work. It sounds miserable in Laos in April, and from what I read pretty much from February until the rains come to clear the smoke. So maybe I don't need to go to Laos, as beautiful as Luang Prabang looks during optimal photography conditions. Bit of a shame as it may well be my last trip to SEA.

My concern now with this burning season is northern Vietnam. After a mostly disastrous trip to the Canadian rockies last July during the forest fire season I am keen to avoid another trip where the views are spoilt by smoke by going at the wrong time. I hear it is fine in the cities in April, but what about the mountains up north or the other places on my itinerary? I will be spending minimal time in cities, even Hanoi.

I am aware it is hot there in April as well, just looking at the forecast for this week tells me that. I can deal with the heat, but what I don't want to deal with is a wall of haze every time I get to a viewpoint.

If April is a lost cause then which month is best? I imagine March and May would be similar to April in terms of haze. Wet season rules out June to September. I can't realistically go in January or February unless I postpone to 2026 as next year would be too close to my November trip to Thailand and Cambodia. So that leaves November and December, and realistically no later than mid December due to Christmas. The weather in October and November look decent but the Hang En cave trip does not run those months. So it looks like mid November to early December is the optimal time.

Or am I over thinking this and the visibility in the north is fine in April? Has anyone been recently who can comment on what it has been like this year in April?

submitted by /u/XenorVernix
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Trending Content

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert