There is a couple living in a car outside my building with their great dane… Should I call someone or let it be?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/Hazemt3
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/Hazemt3

For the past 2 weeks, there’s been a couple living in their small Mazda hatch with their fully grown great dane outside my apartment building. I see them sleeping in the front seats while their great dane sleeps in the back. Obviously, these are miserable conditions for all 3, especially considering that it still get below freezing at night. Now, I don’t know their story. They could have fallen into a very unfortunate situation and were forced to live in their car. They could’ve lost their jobs, lost their home, or are going through something else. Most likely something unfortunate happened since I doubt that they would have gotten a dog if their situation was tough.

Sometimes, they are gone during the day (or even worse, at night) and leave their dog alone in the car. I like to give them benefit of the doubt during the day that maybe they’re out trying to fix their situation, but at midnight I’m not too sure. The car does not move, so I guess they must go on foot. Over the past 2 weeks, I’ve seen them take the dog outside the car once, and I’m out 4 times per day to walk my dog. I can’t imagine how depressing it must be for a dog of any size, let alone a great dane to be confined to a space not even large enough to fully lie down.

Tonight, while taking out my dog, I looked at the car and noticed some movement. I looked closer and their great dane was awake and looking at me and my dog, and his owners were not in the car. It completely broke my heart. He looked so sad. I’m now contemplating my options. Now I know that all signs point to calling someone like animal protection or the non-urgent police line, but I’m hesitant for a couple reasons.

I just feel like if I do something, I’d be potentially taking this dog away from its owners for what’s maybe only a temporary living problem, making their lives even more sad. Also, I’d be taking this dog away from likely the two people it loves the most. I could approach and talk to them to try and understand and see if they need help, but I feel like I’d be overstepping and getting involved in something that I shouldn’t.

If you were in my position, what would you do? I feel for the dog but also for the owners, and I would hate to make their situation any more depressing.

submitted by /u/Hazemt3
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...