parent won’t stop letting cat outside

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/Relative-Medium8872
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/Relative-Medium8872

hi reddit, sorry if this isn’t the right place to post something like this but i really need advice, feel free to delete if this shouldn’t go here

i’m 18 years old and I live at home with two cats that my sister and I adopted and paid for ourselves and that we take care of. i.e, they are me and my sister’s cats, not the family’s. a year ago one of my cats started howling at night to go outside, sitting in front of the door etc. my dad got laid off during the pandemic and hasn’t looked for a new job since and he stays up all night every night and periodically goes out into the garage to smoke, and he keeps the garage door open. basically my dad has been letting my cat outside just because he whines to go even though i’ve asked him very very many times not to. sometimes he stays outside until 7am and is only let in in the morning when my mom wakes up for work, even worse he once came back injured and couldn’t walk on one of his feet and he had to go to the vet and it took a long time to heal. plus, there are coyotes in our neighborhood that often roam in our yard. we have ring cameras — one time on the cameras my sister saw our cat was outside while coyotes were in our yard, and thankfully we managed to find him and get him in but it was an extremely stressful situation for me. i’ve tried to keep him in my room at night, but if i do that im unable to sleep as he is very loud and he needs to be let out periodically so i can see if he needs to eat or use the litter— i have work and school i cant keep staying up all night to do this. im constantly losing sleep and im incredibly stressed out basically every night now because of the fear that my cat could end up with a worse injury or get mauled.

i dont know what to do at this point, if anyone has any possible suggestions or advice on what i could do here i would be so grateful. i’m just so tired of this and i want my cats to be safe.

i put this on another subreddit but it got no replies so im trying again here.

submitted by /u/Relative-Medium8872
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...