Clingy, vocal cat is ruining my marriage.

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/GoldDelivery5377
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/GoldDelivery5377

Okay so maybe the title is a bit dramatic but I need some advice.

My husband and I got married a few months ago. Two months after getting married we adopted this sweet 5-year old cat. She loves to be held, petted, and be around us constantly. She’s super social and outgoing. She usually sits on our laps at night and sleeps between us.

But she has many issues…

Firstly she meows constantly. During the day she meows probably 50% of the time and at night she would wake us up at 3am just screaming. I’ve had 6 cats in my life growing up and none of them ever did this. I love cats soooo much and every cat I’ve ever had was just super chill and would sleep most of the day and would get some zoomies at night, but not like this. She attacks our feet in the middle of the night and meows nonstop. We started locking her out of our room just so we can get some sleep but she meows outside our door all night. We got some earplugs and play rain sounds which helps but now we are nervous to have any overnight guests.

We had to get this plastic carpet protector to put under the door because she would claw the carpet to get in our room (we are renting so this is unacceptable).

While she is super sweet, she does bite a lot. I don’t know how to explain it other than love biting or over stimulation? When we first got her, she would just calmly sit on our laps. Now, she will be sitting on our lap then she will randomly bite our knees or something. Not super hard, she’s not trying to hurt us, but it does kinda hurt. She also stretches her claws on us to scratch and it digs into our skin. When we try to get her to stop by moving her or petting her, she goes into aggressive play mode and just attacks our hands.

She loves to cuddle but she’s an aggressive cuddler (another reason we don’t let her in our bed at night anymore). She would come up to us as we are laying down and would rub against our faces then randomly bite us and bite our hair and stuff like that. It makes cuddling with her very anxiety inducing because at any moment she may bite.

She is also just so hyper. I thought getting a 5 year old cat would be calm but instead she acts like a crazy kitten going through the terror phase!! The first month we got her, she would sit on our laps while we work (we work from home) and she would chill mostly. Now she never sits still. She just wanders around meowing and trying to play. She sits still maybe 30% of the day. All my other cats I ever owned would just sleep all day, but not her!

She is super clingy to the point my husband and I can’t have alone time without locking her out of the room and having her scream on the other side.

My husband and I used to be able to do romantic things like have a picnic in the living room or a cute dinner at home, but she kinda ruins all of that. She just meows nonstop making nothing peaceful. She destroys blankets (she likes to eat them). She eats any food that is unmonitored. We talk about her constantly because she’s a big stressor in our life. We are unsure what to do. Returning her has been thrown around but I don’t think I could forgive myself if I gave her back, but shouldn’t my marriage be more important? Maybe we just need time to adjust??

We are going to try fostering to see if a friend helps calm her down and maybe teaches her some manners, but I just don’t want any of this to affect the most formidable years of marriage. What should we do? Has anyone ever gone through something similar and have tips?

submitted by /u/GoldDelivery5377
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...